Family Heritage - Spotlight Feature

I was so excited and thrilled today to get an email from Close To My Heart's Corporate office notifying me that my art was being featured on Jeanette Lynton's blog!  It is such an honor to be recognized!  I'm am always so in awe by the creativity of my fellow consultants and Close To My Heart's very own Art Department, that being spotlighted by Jeanette just blows me away.  It has been an exciting year for me and my art.

I'm going to share a little more detail over the next couple of days on the pieces that Jeanette featured.  Today, I'll share my most favorite piece - the one page layout.   I used the one-page layout sketch from the new Make It From Your Heart.  (Sketch #17)


This is a picture of my Great Grandparents, Anna Katherine and Fred Schneider.   So many memories came back to me as I worked on this layout.  I never knew my Great Grandfather. He died at a fairly young age even before my own father was born.  I did have the pleasure of knowing my Great Grandma though!  She lived to the ripe old age of 105.  I can remember going to visit her as a little girl.   She had moved from the family farm in Newburgh, Indiana to a little house in town.   She lived there in that little house well into her ninety's.  I remember she had a little vegetable garden out back along with flowers - Day Lilies I believe.   Sometimes when we got to her house she would just be coming in from the garden.  I remember the old wooden rocking chair in her front parlor with carving on the back, and the patchwork quilt across the back of the sofa.  Grandma Schneider, as all the great grand kids called her to distinguish between other grandmas, loved to quilt.  She made a quilt for each of my sisters and I still have that quilt today.  I loved going to her house because in town, the ice cream truck would always come by her house.  We'd hear the tinkling of the bell and she'd get out our her little change purse and give us some coins so we could get some ice cream.  I remember sitting around her kitchen table eating her special Springerle cookies listening to stories of yesteryear.  Springerle are an old fashioned German cookies flavored with Anise.  I remember Grandma's hearty laugh and how her smile that would light up the room.    Those were special times with my Grandma and memories that I will always hold close to my heart.

Here are some close ups of a few of the details of the layout:

I used the two keys that come with the Brocade Assortment (Z1748) to tie around my ribbon.   The ribbon is our Color Ready Seam Binding Ribbon (Z1732).  Olive ink, blended with just a little bit of Chocolate ink colored my ribbon to coordinate with the special trendy Avonlea Green in the Avonlea Paper pack (X7155B).




The flowers were cut from the Artiste Cricut Cartridge using the Avonlea Teal cardstock.   I layered the flowers on the Avonlea Canvas Compliments (X7155C) using the vines, flower and leaves.  In the center of the flower is an Opaque Mocha Adhesive gem  (Z1333).







I displayed this layout at my open house recently and my Grandma was in town visiting my parents. My Grandma is one of four children by my Great Grandma.  My mother brought her by and she was very touched to see the photograph put together on special layout.  My Grandma is 95 years young and still lives on that old family homestead in Newburgh, Indiana.   The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!

Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to come back and I will detail the 6x6 My Creations Memory Showcase album that features my Mother's grandparents and parents!

Comments

  1. I love the way you are able to fuse your genealogy with your love for paper craft. They go together well. Our grandmothers and great-grandmothers loved their crafts as well!! Beautifully done. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Close to My Heart Christmas Card Blog Hop

Just for Fun Blog Hop

Mystery Hostess Announced and an Artiste Gift Card Holder