Graduation FINALLY came!

My blog has been quiet for about a week but my craft room has not!  I've been working on things for my youngest daughter's high school graduation party!  I took two days off from work to try to get things ready.

I ordered the announcements but created the party invites!  
Stamps used: Congrats Graduate (A1139) and Sightseer (C1534) for the chevrons

Get ready, this may be a lengthy post!  I've got lots to share!

The commencement exercise was held at Middle Tennessee University's Murphy Center.  The Oakland High School Class of 2013 consisted of 406 graduates.



After the graduation, we headed out to Slayden Farms to celebrate.  For the last three weeks we've had rain (LOTS of rain) every single weekend.  The beginning of the week had a great graduation forecast but as each day got closer to Saturday the percentage of rain increased.  When I checked the forecast Saturday morning, it was grim - cloudy all day with 60% chance of THUNDERSTORMS from 4pm on.  It wasn't looking good for an outdoor party.  As I drove out to the farm that morning to take food, decorations and tables, I said a quick prayer thanking God for this day of celebration no matter what the weather.  I would deal with whatever He gave us and I would do it joyfully!  After graduation, we came out of Murphy Center to cloudy skies and I rushed out to the farm to finish prepping for the party.  The clouds broke and the sun started to shine.  The sun got so hot we actually had to move our 'Graduation' tent to a more shady spot so that the cake wouldn't melt!

My hubby cooked ribs and chicken!  Yum!!  We had so much food!

And for dessert......
Dessert table is ready - except chocolate covered strawberries are missing!

My dear friend Leslie Kemp made the graduation cake and cupcakes.  Kayli LOVES chevrons so a chevron cake was a must have!  I got the idea for the pennants from Pinterest.   I used two paper straws for the poles and used my Pennant Alphabet (E1018) stamps and Cotton Candy ink to stamp the pennants.  Here is a closer look at the cake:

My mom put together a collage of Kayli's growing up years in a large poster frame.  I pulled together some favorite layout memories in a scrapbook.  I think everyone had fun looking at the pictures.

I created this framed piece of 'chalk art'.  I have seen this technique many times and love the look. This was my first attempt.  I loved creating it but it takes alot of patience!  (I tend to want to hurry things up therefore usually creating a mess and making a mess of my creation!). But I stayed slow and steady this time.

I purchased a $3 black wood frame at Walmart and sprayed painted it white.  After it dried, I rubbed sandpaper over the frame edges to bring out the black to give it a vintage look.  Next, I stamped the phrase with The Works Alpha stamp (now retired) with versa mark ink and embossed with white embossing powder.  Once it was heat set, I used white pigment ink to stamp each letter again offsetting it just a bit.  "Believe" and "Dreams" was stamped with Friendship Alpha - Large (retired) and Hollyhock pigment ink.  This time I used Clear Embossing powder.   The swirls and stars are from one of my all time favorite stamps - Love Life (D1482).  For the final touch, I added paper roses I cut with the Artiste Cricut Cartridge along with Black Tulle Ribbon (Z1798).

It turned out to be a great afternoon and evening!




As we were driving back home that night I was thinking about what a wonderful day we had.  And then I realized I was driving on wet roads with big puddles!  It had rained!  But it never rained on the farm.  Wow..... He is amazing.  I then said a word of thanks for ALL the blessings large and small in my life.

Thank you for spending a few moments with me celebrating Kayli's graduation.
Now, I'll get back to regular creating and posting as I just might have a little more free time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Close to My Heart Christmas Card Blog Hop

Just for Fun Blog Hop

Mystery Hostess Announced and an Artiste Gift Card Holder